7 Recommendations for Outdoor Living in 2021
Outdoor Living is a bigger trend than ever as we move into 2021. New design, colors and products are arriving to our showroom now. The Pantone color of the year for 2021 is highlighted in our feature image, the surprise for 2021…”two independent colors that highlight how different elements come together to support one another, best express the mood for 2021.” Serene Ultimate Gray and sunny Illuminating Yellow. So how can you optimize your outdoor living space for the best experience while currently spending more time at home? We have a few recommendations for you:
- Turn things inside out! Have breakfast on the patio, take the laptop outside under the umbrella for the next Zoom meeting, invite the neighbor over for a social distanced happy hour. With a great patio dining set you can dine outside, relax in the sun with a cold beverage, and most important of all change your perspective with a new view outside the house!
- Add an outdoor kitchen or bar. Create a vacation atmosphere in your backyard with a convenient cooking space, cooler table and beverage cart, or both. Add a portable pizza oven for your own patio bistro. If you can’t take that vacation this year, invest in a staycation environment in your own backyard.
- Add some light and extend your outdoor time. Add some outdoor lighting features. Nothing creates an inviting atmosphere more than the warmth of soft lighting. Decorative string lights, lanterns, outdoor LED candles, lamps and solar lighting are all great options.
- Create some warmth outdoors. From an outdoor fireplace, fire pit, fire table, tabletop fire feature and outdoor heaters…we have a plethora of fire options available to suit any space.
- Don’t forget to accessorize. Cushions, pillows, blankets, rugs…all of the comforts of your indoor living space are now available and made for outdoor living. Store your accessories in a convenient deck box for ease of access and to keep them clean and dry. Small water features can add some peace, serenity and visual interest to your space.
- Don’t forget the kiddos! A creative play area adjacent to your outdoor living space can create fun for the whole family. Check out these cute kids adirondack chairs sized just for them. The adults get a break and the kids are occupied with outdoor fun and away from screens.
- Create a garden. Healthy and beneficial to the grocery budget, a edible garden can be a home school project for the kids to participate in as well. A few planters or flower beds can create a beautiful view from the home office window to brighten the work-from-home day.
Do you need to create a foundation for your outdoor space? Visit Belgard for more tips on setting up the area before you deck it out. Come see us at our Overland Park Seasonal Concepts showroom or work with our experienced customer service representative live online to customize your space today. You could be enjoying a great outdoors in your own back yard now.
How To Create Your Own Backyard Bistro
Entertaining at home is a trend that has been growing in popularity the past few years, in part because of economics and also in part to the ease and comfort of being in one’s own home. Closely connected to the home entertaining trend is the idea of making your outdoor space an extension of indoor living.
Inviting friends and family over for a dinner party is the most common form of at-home entertaining, while going out to dinner is also a stand-by for those who choose to leave home for a night out. Why not fuse these two concepts by transforming your backyard into a dining destination? To create your own backyard bistro, you’ll need three things: great atmosphere, the right set-up and fantastic food. Remember to keep it simple (after all, that’s the beauty of entertaining at home) and follow these suggestions:
1) A great atmosphere. Set the mood with soft lighting. Setting up outdoor candles or fire features make all the difference. When the sun goes down, keep things from getting too dark by stringing up a couple sets of patio lights, which are weather resistant and easy to install. The right lighting makes outdoor entertaining cozy and inviting.
2) The right set-up. Instead of one table, try something unexpected by arranging a few smaller tables in your backyard, which will also contribute to the bistro vibe. Check out our bistro sets and add a beautiful spot for the perfect outdoor dining atmosphere to your backyard that looks as though it came from a five-star restaurant.
The other trick to your set-up is convenience. Plan to cook food outdoors, so you don’t have to be away from your guests for a long period of time. Prepare everything you’ll need before their arrival, and then roll everything outside on a bistro cart once it’s time to cook. On a similar note, keeping beverages in a convenient cooler outside will prevent your guests from being forced to trek in and out of the house too often.
3) Fantastic food. ‘Tis the season for burgers, brats and barbeque. A space-saving portable electric grill can easily sit atop your bistro cart, giving you a one-stop location for cooking. Or a flexible pizza oven/smoker is a unique outdoor cooking feature that is also portable and gives you more cooking options than a standard grill. Finally, when it comes to the fare, depart from traditional barbeque and go for interesting flavor combinations such as chipotle and maple, brown sugar and bourbon, sweet red chili and mango or applewood and plum.
Unique flavors and a unique take on outdoor entertaining are sure to impress your guests and keep your backyard bistro in business!
Introducing Eddie Bauer Home
We are proud to announce the Eddie Bauer Home outdoor furnishings collection, now available in our Overland Park showroom, exclusively at Seasonal Concepts!
ABOUT EDDIE BAUER
Our founder, Eddie, was an outdoor guide. Born and raised in Washington State, he learned to fish before he was in school, learned to hunt before he finished grade school. His passion for adventure built an iconic American brand.
Eddie’s creation of the first down jacket revolutionized cold-weather outerwear. It also began a tradition of adventure-driven innovation that the company carries on today. To build our technical gear, we work with professional guides from concept to finish. Only when the guides have tested each piece and say it’s ready do we offer it to you. But uncompromising quality is not limited to our most technical products.
Kannoa, known for its style, quality and custom services, partnered with Eddie Bauer to bring an outdoor furniture collection to specialty retail that reflects the spirit of today’s active, outdoor-enthusiast.
The Eddie Bauer Outdoor Furniture line features six collections that include multiple Dining Sets, Chat Sets, Fire Pits, Chaise Lounges, Sofas and Sectional Sets. The collections feature innovative style like mixed rope and wicker weaves and padded slings in diamond patterns.
Visit our showroom at our Overland Park store location to see the Eddie Bauer Home collection or view it on our website today.
Perfect Your Patio in Time For Spring
Spring has sprung! Now it’s time to wash away the winter woes and start thinking about warmer months. Before outdoor chores can pile up, complete your checklist and get ready to get down and dirty over the next few weeks!
Here’s a list of the core 12 spring to-dos for getting your outdoor living space ready for the great weather to come.
- Power wash the patio surface, making sure to get all of the winter dirt and grime off of your surfaces.
- Pull out outdoor rugs. A good cleaning will make it shine!
- Uncover your patio furniture or pull it out of storage.
- Scrub patio furniture and patio furniture cushions. No matter how you store them, they usually need freshened up or replaced. I suggest looking into environmentally-friendly cleaner. It’s safe for your furniture and cushions, and, more importantly, your guests and children.
- Check all of your landscaping lights for any needed repairs or bulb changes.
- Pull out and scrub stored flowerpots with warm water. Make sure you aren’t using any soap or chemicals that will contaminate the potting soils.
- Give the grill a good spring-cleaning and tune up, and make sure the gas tank is full.
- Trim any shrubs or stray branches that may have grown into patio or path areas.
- Fresh mulch in your flowerbeds and landscaped areas dress up the space and give plants and shrubs their spring protection against fluctuating temperatures and last minute spring storms.
- Inspect flowerbeds or landscaped areas for stray garbage or other foreign objects that winter storms may have washed and blown into your garden.
- Treat lawn and garden for late winter weeds and pre-emergent to keep weeds manageable throughout the spring.
- Freshen up your outdoor living space with accessories such as lanterns, lights, pillows, flower pots, etc.
You may have more or less steps depending on your outdoor space, but these 12 steps are getting our backyard in great shape! How do you spruce up your space for the coming months? Let us know!
Finding Your Perfect Patio Furniture
Spend a few days evaluating your backyard. Take measurements, decide what furniture and accessories you want to include and, determine your budget.
When it comes to patio furniture, consumers have an assortment of tables, chairs, benches, lounge chairs, ottomans, swings, side tables, chaise lounges and even sofas to create the perfect backyard. The biggest decision you’ll have to make is the type of material your patio furniture is made from.
Aluminum’s best quality is its resistance to rust. It also weathers the sun very well and requires little in the way of maintenance. Aluminum is relatively lightweight compared to other common materials, so rearranging your layout or gathering for winter storage is a simple task.
Wood furniture is available in several different materials. Cedar and teak are two of the most popular.
Cedar is strong, lightweight and dimensionally stable, meaning it retains its shape despite changes in temperature and humidity. It also dries out fast
er than some other woods, making it less susceptible to moisture rot and bacterial and fungal development. Cedar also gives off a distinctive scent, which is pleasant to people but a deterrent to wood pests, moths and other insects.
Teak does not absorb heat, making it more comfortable to sit in on hot August days. Additionally, teak is not susceptible to rot or mildew, and it will not warp from exposure to moisture, even if it is left untreated. The only common drawback of teak is its tendency to change color over the years; many people, however, admire that trait as part of the wood’s unique appeal.
All Weather Wicker
Wicker furniture is very lightweight and surprisingly sturdy. Unlike traditional wicker, all-weather wicker is resistant to harsh elements, so bringing wicker furniture indoors overnight or when it rains is unnecessary. Investing in good quality cushions can make a décor statement, and wicker is easily painted to match any color scheme.
Wrought iron furniture is quite heavy and durable enough to be left out over the course of an entire summer. If it is cared for properly, it can last for decades, which helps offset the expense. Wrought iron furniture is typically available in a wide variety of designs, from the ornate and complex to more modern, minimalist motifs.
If you’re choosing wrought iron pieces, look at them as a long-term investment; it is best to select a design that you can enjoy for years to come. The thicker the material, the more durable the furniture will likely be.